THE big red fire truck was a hit at the Leeton fire station open day on Saturday.

A large crowd headed along to the station as kids and parents alike had the opportunity to tour the station, sit in the trucks and even try on the protective gear as they received suggestions about improving fire safety in their homes.

FIRED UP: Link ,3, Samantha and Aeden O’Leary, 5, were excited to come an explore the fire station and see the trucks on display. Photo: Ron Arel

Smoke driftedthrough the air as the sausage sizzled on the barbecue, readyto feed the crowd who came out to have a look.

The open day wasan excellent opportunity for people in to meet local fire fighters and a chance to promote fire safety.

Leeton Fire and Rescue NSW Captain Graham Parks hoped to help educate people about the importance of fire safety around the home by addressing several key issues.

“We like to talk to people about the importance of smoke alarms and house evacuation plans,” Mr Parks said.

“Mainly about fire safety in the home.We let people have a look at what equipment we’ve got and have a chat about what we do for them.

“This is the biggest crowd we’ve seen for a long time.

“It’s been really good.”

With winter rapidly approaching, fire danger is still very much an issue.

Even thoughrisk of bushfires has diminished dueto the shift in wet and cooler weather, Mr Parkshopes peoplewill take extra precautions this winter.

“People are more at risk in the winterbecause they are using a lot more heaters andelectric blankets,” Mr Parks said.

“They’re using a lot more heaters and a lot more power and possiblyoverloading power points.”

Many people associate fire danger with hot dry weather, but can easily lose sight of how easy fire can break out in the home. He said a fire could occur even when completing a simple task such as doing the laundry.

“Make sure that if you’re drying clothes you keep them at least onemetreaway from any heat source,” Mr Parks said.

Mr Parks alsouseda cooking demonstration to help show people how quickly a fire can get out of control at home.

Oil is heated in a normal cooking pot to the point of ignition, and then a small amount of water is poured on as if to attempt to put out the fire.

As the water flashed to steam it increasedto around 1700 times its original volume that resultedin a fireball more than threemetreshigh.

Mr Parks’ advice for the winter is to check smoke detectors andhave heaters serviced.

He warned residents to be careful not to overload power points with heaters and electric blankets and make sure that drying clothes are kept at least a metreaway from a heat source.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 老域名购买.