UPDATED: Hopkins River stand off

Police are in a stand off with a man behaving erratically in a boat near the mouth of the Hopkins River.UPDATE Saturday 10am: A man whocommandeereda boat on the Hopkins River has been remanded in custody and will appear in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court on Monday.
Nanjing Night Net

Police are calling for witnesses who may have seen the man, who was believed to be heavily drug affected,driving before the river incident.

Sergeant Kim Wheeler fromWarrnambool police said anyone who saw a blue Ford XR6 sedan with no number plates driving south along the Hopkins Highway outside Warrnambool was urged to contact the station.

“Police observed the car near North Warrnambool Football Club at Bushfield,” Sergeant Wheeler said.

“The vehicle was travelling south before going east along Wangoom Road and then turned right, travelling along Aberline Road.”

She said police attempted to intercept the vehicle but it failed to pull over. Police lost sight of the car along Aberline Road.

“The driver of the vehicle was then located near Proudfoot’s on the Hopkins River,” Sergeant Wheeler said.

“He was remanded in custody and will appear in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court on Monday.”

The vehicle was later found to be stolen and police believe the man was heavily drug affected.

Anyone who saw the car driving is urged to contact Warrnambool police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

FRIDAY 8.30pm:Police are attempting to negotiate with a man on a boatbehaving erratically near the mouth of the Hopkins River.

The man, who had been out on the water since about 7.30pm,is in his 30s and is known to police.

“Basically we’re negotiating with him at themoment and we’re trying to get him to come back in and he doesn’t want to come back in,” detective senior constable Danny Wright said.

“He’s commandeered a boat and we’re at a stalemate at the moment.”

More to come.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Josh Kennedy boards flight for Adelaide while baby waits to make debut

Josh Kennedy has boarded a flight to Adelaide for the clash against Port on Saturday.West Coast star Josh Kennedy has made a late dash to Adelaide to be with his side for their important Saturday clash against Port, but he will no doubt be nervously checking his mobile phone until the first siren.
Nanjing Night Net

Kennedy and his partner Lauren are expecting their first child and with only three weeks to go – and anything can happen, as any sudden new parents will know.

The rest of the Eagles squad of 23, which included the yet-to-debut Tom Cole, left for the city of churches on Thursday.

Kennedy told Radio 6PR on May 10 that he was counting down to the birth of his first child and could miss the Port Adelaide clash as a result.

“We’ve got a baby due in about three more weeks, which is pretty exciting,” he said.

“The Port Adelaide game might be a bit touch and go depending on how she’s going, however the doctor said everything’s running smoothly.”

Kennedy said the couple didn’t yet know whether the baby would be a boy or a girl.

“It’s a surprise, which will be good.”

When asked what he would do if forced to make a decision between football and the birth of his first child, Kennedy was very clear.

“Yeah I’d definitely, definitely [be with Lauren]. I’m not going to miss this.”

A win against Port Adelaide will be crucial for the Eagles if they want to challenge for a top four spot, with last season’s runners-up not having won outside Perth since round 16 last year.

So far this season the Eagles have lost to Hawthorn at the MCG, Sydney at the SCG and Geelong at Simmonds Stadium.  Follow WAtoday on Twitter

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Hawthorn v Sydney: Stadium-wide applause for Jarryd Roughead

Two minutes into the second quarter of Hawthorn’s match against Sydney, a ripple of claps turned into stadium-wide applause.
Nanjing Night Net

Despite Hawks’ officials insisting that Jarryd Roughead did not want any fuss made over him, it seemed inevitable that fans at the MCG would go ahead with their tribute to the favourite son who this week discovered his cancer had returned.

Many fans from both clubs stood up to show their support, at a time chosen to reference the number two Roughead wears on his jumper.

Club president Richard Garvey said before the match Hawthorn was focussed on giving Roughead and his family love and support in the wake of his diagnosis.

Garvey said it had been a difficult week for the “Hawthorn family,” who had been shocked and saddened by the news.

But he said one positive was that doctors had diagnosed the disease early and the footballer was getting the best possible care.

“As a club we are united in our support of Roughy,” Garvey said. “Our focus is firmly on wrapping our arms around him and his family.” Garvey said the week’s events had served as a reminder that football was not all-important, and that no one should take their health for granted.It was a touching moment as the crowd showed their support for Jarryd Roughead. #AFLHawksSwanshttps://t.co/2AnPjg8sej— AFL (@AFL) May 20, 2016

Roughead had felt the love of the AFL community this week, he said. “The love and support that has been shown to Jarryd this week has been overwhelming,” Garvey said.

“As we sit down to enjoy the footy tonight, let’s take a moment to appreciate those around us, be it our spouses, our partners, our children, our families and our friends, and take stock of what matters most in life.”Proof footy backs you no matter which club you play for @[email protected]#AFLHawksSwanspic.twitter南京夜网/0VDqFzvSTO— AFL on 7 (@7AFL) May 20, 2016

Hawthorn midfielder Isaac Smith said Roughead had been with the team before the match as usual.

“He’s in good spirits and he wants to be involved,” he said.

“I don’t think he wants to talk about it too much, he just wants everyone to move on with it and he’s going to give it a fair crack.”

It was not until late in that second quarter that the Hawks scored their first goal, but Smith denied the team had felt flat before the match.

“I think we were up by contested possessions 20 minutes into the game, I don’t think we were flat at all, I just don’t think we got the connection going forward,” he said.

“Credit to Sydney, they played really well, we just couldn’t get the score on the board.”

Sydney are a team with deep connections to Roughead – several of their key players once wore the brown and gold.

Swans coach John Longmire said Lance “Buddy” Franklin and assistant coach Stuart Dew had visited Roughead on Thursday.

Josh Kennedy and Ben McGlynn also knew him from their time at the rival club and Longmire said the team had spoken about the matter in small groups prior to the match.

“In the general sense Jarryd is one of the most respected players in the AFL. Even blokes that don’t know him that well but have played some big games against him really felt for him,” he said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Commonwealth Games 2016: chair Peter Beattie says Gold Coast could be template

Commonwealth Games chair Peter Beattie pitches Gold Coast 2018 as a template for future Games. Photo: Tony Moore Commonwealth Games Federation chief executive David Grevemberg. Photo: Tony Moore
Nanjing Night Net

The Gold Coast Commonwealth Games in 2018 was the chance to set the template for Games to come, incoming chair Peter Beattie told a media conference on the Gold Coast on Friday.

The former Queensland premier was the surprise announcement as new chair of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games organising committee on Wednesday.

He replaced Nigel Chamier, noted for driving the restoration of the badly run-down Brisbane City Hall.

In Friday’s “report card” of planning schedules for the ‘Games in April 2018, it was revealed that Mr Chamier had overseen a construction phase that was “on budget” and “on time”.

However Mr Beattie’s ability to present the bigger picture of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games was quickly on show.

“One of the things that I’ve found most interesting was the legacy issues,” Mr Beattie said.

“Where do the Commonwealth Games go from here?”

Success on the Gold Coast in 2018 meant success for the next Commonwealth Games in Durban.

Mr Beattie said a longer-term goal: aside from meeting budgets, meeting construction deadlines and the sports event itself, was ensuring a “long-term niche” for the Commonwealth Games.

“Because every athlete wants to know that there is going to be ongoing Commonwealth Games.”

Bruce Robertson, the chairman of the co-ordination commission monitoring the Games planning, defended the decision to replace Mr Shamier with Mr Beattie, GOLDOC’s third chairman in as many years.

“You have different skill sets at different points in time,” Mr Robertson said.

He said Mr Chamier had overseen the earlier construction and “set-up” phases.

“Whereas Peter’s skill set looks more towards the Commonwealth and the rest of the world.”

Mr Beattie said the countdown to the Gold Coast really began after the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

“And that’s when we have to engage the rest of Australia; Sydney, Melbourne and the rest of Australia,” he said.

“And that’s one of the things I can do.”

On Friday, at GOLDOC’s headquarters at Benowa on the Gold Coast, the fifth “report card” on Games planning was presented.

However the actual report is not available to journalists until it is uploaded to GOLDOC’s website in a week.

Mr Robertson summarised the findings two years out from the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Construction of venues is “on track and on budget”, marketing and sponsorship was ahead of the progress made in the preparation of the Glasgow Commonwealth Games.

The location of 15 park and rides, to be established on a mix of state government and Gold Coast City Council land, will be finalised in six months and announced.

Meanwhile, David Grevemberg, the Commonwealth Games Federation chief executive officer – and former Glasgow Games CEO – praised the Gold Coast Games decision to promote Indigenous reconciliation.

“Gold Coast Commonwealth Games is establishing an Indigenous Reconciliation Plan as part of the Commonwealth Games plan,” he said.

“For the first time in an Australian (Games) event, a reconciliation action plan has been developed,” he said.

Mr Grevemberg said that would guide the involvement of Indigenous people in Australia into the Games in 2018.

“From the Commonwealth Games Federation point of view, we feel this is a real distinguishing factor.

“It is an amazing, amazing opportunity, not only across Australia, but across the Commonwealth and the globe.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Jarryd Hayne set to join Fiji side for London Sevens rugby

Code changer: Jarryd Hayne during a Fijiian Rugby Union training session in London. Photo: Martin Seras Lima/World RugbyWhy my journey with Jarryd is over
Nanjing Night Net

After initially being snubbed for Fiji’s squad at the London Sevens, Jarryd Hayne was standing by to join the side on Friday night after a last-minute injury to a teammate.

There was confusion about Hayne’s position in the squad after Fiji Rugby released a statement on Friday evening saying he had been included in their final 12-man squad for the tournament.

However, Hayne’s name was nowhere to be seen on World Rugby’s official team lists page last night. Sides are supposed to submit a list of 12 players for the tournament 24 hours in advance.

In the statement, Fiji said playmaker Vatemo Ravouvou had been ruled out after failing to recover from a knee injury – opening the door for Hayne to come into the squad, subject to clearance from World Rugby. It was unclear on Friday night if the Fijians had received clearance.

It could be the slice of luck Hayne needs after coach Ben Ryan all but made the tough decision to omit the two-time Dally M winner from the squad despite his dream of pursuing a spot on Fiji’s Olympic team.

Hayne was also not named in Ryan’s initial 12-man squad earlier in the week.

It appears likely Hayne will get one chance to prove his worth in sevens, with scores of experts  predicting the task of adjusting to the abbreviated form of the game in such a short space of time will be beyond him.

Should he receive clearance, Hayne is set to make his debut against England just at 9.04pm Saturday, Sydney time, before coming up against Australia early on Sunday morning (2.54am, Sydney time).

Code hopper Hayne only landed in London on Monday, hours after quitting American football where he played last year or the San Francisco 49ers.

He cited the August Rio Olympics as his primary motivation for walking out on a lucrative NFL contract to link up with the world beating Fijians.

Fiji sevens squad:*

Apisai Domolailai, Jasa Veremalua, Waisea Nayacalevu, Isake Katonibau, Viliame Mata, Amenoni Nasilasila, Osea Kolinisau (c), Masivesi Dakuwaqa, Seremaia Tuwai, Kitione Dawai, Samisoni Viriviri, Jarryd Hayne.

* Provisional

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.